Neurology is a branch of medicine dealing with diagnosing and treating disease and disorders of the nervous system, such as brain and spinal cord and nerves, such as:
- Stroke or cerebrovascular disease
- Multiple Sclerosis or other demyelinating diseases affecting the central nervous system
- Infections of brain and nervous system
- Headache disorders
- Alzheimers, Lou Gehrig’s disease or other neurodegenerative disorders
- Seizure disorders- epileptic and non-epileptic
Do you know the signs of a stroke? Use the F.A.S.T. Test
- Face: Ask the person to smile. Does their smile seem lopsided?
- Arm: Ask the person to raise their arms. Notice if one arm drifts downward.
- Speech: Ask the person to repeat a phrase. Does their speech sound strange or slurred?
- Time: Time is critical-call 911 now.