Contrary to popular belief, inflammation, provided it is not excessive, is actually a good thing. Inflammation is the process by which the body heals.
Traditional treatments such as NSAID (non-steroidal anti- inflammatory) medication, cortisone shots and ice actually stop the healing process.
Prolotherapy injections are given at the injured site, at the point (s) where the ligaments and tendons attach to the bone. A “proliferant” solution is injected into the injured area, stimulating the body to send healing cells to the injured site. When the cells arrive at the injured area, they cause a localized inflammatory reaction. With this comes healing immune cells that allows the body to lay down new tissue, growing thicker, stronger ligaments and tendons. This is based on the concept that the cause of most musculoskeletal pain is ligament and/or tendon weakness (or laxity).
What conditions are treated with prolotherapy?
• Knee pain: arthritis, runners knee, ACL/MCL tears, meniscus tears.
• Back pain: post -surgery pain, degenerative disc disease, arthritis, alternative to laminectomy.
• Neck pain: headaches, pinched nerves, disc problems, chronic muscle spasms.
• Shoulder pain: tears, frozen shoulder, osteoarthritis, post-fracture, bursitis.
• Hip pain: post hip-fracture pain, osteoarthritis, degenerative joint disease, bursitis.
• Ankle/foot pain: sprains, strains, plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, Achilles tendonitis/tendinosis.
• Wrist pain: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, overuse injuries, sports injuries, sprains, strains, tendonitis/tendinosis.
• Elbow pain: tennis or golfer’s elbow, tendonitis, sprains, strains, osteoarthritis, tendinosis.
• Body pain: fibromyalgia, Congenital Hypermobility Syndrome.